Thursday 27 October 2011

Studio Lighting Techniques

During our Text and Image assignment, we are instructed to produce quality images using a photographic studio space by experimenting in flash lighting. As it was my very first time in a studio I had to be informed about all the health and safety implications, that need to be considered when working with the advanced equipment and also learn how they operate to visually achieve the desired effect of my images that I have in mind.

In a practical group exercise we were shown how to put together the two most common lighting setups, High key and Low key. High key set up generally requires four light sources, two soft boxes are positioned as key lights at the front of the set to reduce and ease shadows and two umbrellas are placed at the back of the set to illuminate the white background, this will enhance the same diffused effect as the soft boxes, but will also produce a wider spread of brightness to fill the entire background. The overall effect of High key lighting generates upbeat, happy images, conveying positive emotions.




For low key lighting only one light source is required. The set up involves postioning the subject in front of a black backdrop, standing at angle towards to the light source, which will insure that the light will be cast onto the subject without lighting up the background.  A reflector can also be optional, if the shadow side is too dark.


For my shoot, I decided to go for a low key setup as it created the right mood for that I wanted to portray through my images, which connote a sinster, negative, edgy energy to the backstory. Through trial and error I decided that the best lighting modifer to use was the snoot as it directs the light source onto the concentrated area's of the body that I wanted to photograph. I also feel this method will help my audience focus with little chance of being distracted by the surrounding background, which would dilute the power of the message I am trying to create. In addition to this, I am also thinking of possibly using a projector in some of my shots to see how the result would differ as opposed to using a flash head.

No comments:

Post a Comment